Job & Internship Opportunities
Virginia21, an advocacy organization for young Virginians, seeks a Communications Director. We are looking for a dynamic and energetic policy/communications professional who can take on a major role in driving our organizational agenda and advocacy efforts. The perfect candidate will be smart, personable, passionate, and have a good sense of humor. We work in a fast-paced, campaign environment, and are extremely productive – but we try to have fun too.
Virginia21 is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that advocates for young people. We bring together young voters from across the Commonwealth and equip them to make an impact on the issues that matter most to them. With chapters at colleges and universities around the state, we have engaged thousands of young people in the political process since our founding 13 years ago, making us one of the most successful advocates for young voters in the nation.
The Communications Director is responsible for the following:
- All outgoing communications from Virginia21 and serving as the “voice” of the organization. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Key messages
- Press releases
- Email blasts
- Social media
- Op/Eds and Letters to the Editor
- Website maintenance and blog posts
- Fostering and maintaining relationships with various members of the media and media outlets, and working to gain exposure for the organization while serving in a P.R. capacity
- Keeping the executive director and other staff briefed on relevant policy topics and discussions, and ensuring that Virginia21 has a presence at important meetings and hearings which are relevant to our work. This will focus primarily on higher education policy.
- Working with staff to craft and execute a detailed policy agenda at the state level. This includes but is not limited to:
- Outlining a political strategy/timeline for meeting policy goals
- Having expert-level knowledge on all relevant policy topics
- Creating one-pagers for meetings with legislators/other policy leaders
- Maintaining a positive working relationship with important policy actors, including: legislators, legislative aides and staff, Governor’s office and policy advisors, relevant cabinet officials and staff, SCHEV, and any other thought leaders, government officials, or persons of importance relevant to Virginia21’s goals.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- An unwavering commitment to Virginia21’s mission. The applicant must believe in the importance of civic engagement and be driven to help develop the next generation of leaders in the Commonwealth. They must be committed to working every day for the causes that are important to young people, such as affordable access to a high-quality postsecondary education.
- An understanding of Virginia governmental structure and processes, including but not limited to the legislative process and budget process
- Working experience in or around Virginia politics/government/public policy. The applicant should have at least a basic understand of who the major players and decision-makers are in Virginia
- Exceptional writing and communication skills, including the ability to draft public documents such as press releases and email blasts. The applicant should also understand the importance of clear, focused messaging and reflect that in their communications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. The applicant should express a willingness and even eagerness to forge new relationships and build a useful professional network. The eventual hire will be expected to schedule and take meetings on a regular basis with various stakeholders.
- A sharp mind for public policy, an ability to learn quickly and be able to discuss new policy topics, and a desire to constantly stay informed of all news and goings-on in our policy world
- A willingness to work with leaders and elected officials from both political parties
- Must be a self-starter who can create their own work without always having to be assigned a task
- Must work well in a small, group setting and be comfortable brainstorming and thinking creatively
- Travel required and willingness to work long and irregular hours is essential.
- Professional communications experience with a Virginia political or nonprofit entity
- A working understanding of higher education policy in Virginia
- Experience dealing with press/media, including issuing press releases and serving as a spokesperson for an organization
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and other graphic design platforms
- Website design/maintenance experience, including basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, WordPress
- Experience managing, maintaining, and updating a large supporter database through a platform like Salsa, EveryAction, etc.
The position is full-time and permanent. We offer a competitive nonprofit salary, commensurate with experience. We also offer full health, vision, and dental benefits, along with monthly cell phone and travel reimbursement.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to Jared Calfee at email@example.com.